Google Trends states “Vintage” as the hottest trend in interior design. Google Search data shows there’s more interest in “vintage” and “antique” than any other styles for searches related to furniture. Looks like the nostalgia took hearts of everybody. Google Trends also mention that the top search for Vintage is “how to make furniture look vintage.”
Many think that anything that is old is vintage. But it is not quite true. The vintage era is 1940’s-1950’s. This is warm, a cozy style that mixes elegant furniture with some distressed looking items.To create the Vintage style at home. Pick Floral or bold patterned wallpaper and home textiles, and blend pastel colors and use only a few bright accents. Wooden floors and painted wooden furniture is another must for this style. Vintage style requires the use of many home decor accessories. To save your budget, and make a perfect fit to the interior make it yourself. This tutorial will guide you on how to create an accessory for interior in vintage style.
For this project you will need:
- Daily ART Wood Stain Brown
- Daily ART Matt Paint color flower white
- Daily ART Decoupage Glue Matt
- Daily ART Matt Varnish
- Daily ART Bitumen
- napkin with print
- laser (or toner )made reversed image
- Daily ART flat synthetic brush size 12
- Daily ART round foam brush size 30 mm
- wooden wine box
- sanding paper
Here is the wooden wine box I will decorate. My husband got a bottle of cognac in a wooden box as a present. The box at once became my asset. If you do not have one you can buy a new one in many DIY shops.
Color all the surface with Wood Stain Brown. Use round foam brush for this. Leave to dry for 1 hour.
- Cover the surface with flower white color, or use any other pastel color. Let the surface dry for 1 hour.
Wood Stain will migrate to paint and cause darker spots on the surface. To sharpen the contrast polish gently with sanding paper. Add few drops of water. Water will make the Wood Stain migrate again.
- Cover the surface with Matt Varnish. Let it dry.
- Find a vintage style image on web. Make it reverse.Many image editing software would call this function flip horizontal. Here is a great service to flip your image online flipapicture.com
Cut out the print leaving 1 cm around the picture. Cover the print (face, colorful side) and the surface, where you plan to transfer the image to with Matt Varnish. As the varnish is still wet put a print face down to surface and press it. Make sure all air is gone underneath the print, stick it well! Let it dry at least for 1 hour.
- Pour water on the print and roll off the paper with fingers. You should see a vintage style print transferred to your wooden surface.
Cut a motif out of a napkin. Place it on decorated surface and apply Daily Art Matt decoupage glue on top of the napkin. Apply glue from center to edges with a flat brush. Let it dry.
- With foam brush apply some Bitumen on edges of the box. Make few strokes with foam brush on the rest of the surface. This step will add depth to your decoration. But be careful not to make your object too dark.
Mix white acrylic paint and bitumen with water. Use disposable plastic cups for thinning paint. With a brush or with toothbrush splatter thinned paint and bitumen on the surface. This is a fun point of work, control yourself not to make too much of splattering. Let the paint dry.
- Cover wooden box with Matt Varnish.