Reverse decoupage is decoration technique when print and paints are applied underneath the glass. Glass is adding depth to decoration. Try combining opaque, matt colors with transparent and glossy materials to create bold look.
You would need the following to work on glass:
- Plate of glass
- Flat synthetic brush
- Round foam brush
- Primer transparent
- Decoupage glue Daily ART
- Country Crackling Medium Daily ART
- Wash glass plate and wipe it until it is dry. Wear gloves, so you do not leave fingerprints on glass.
- Place plate upside down. Apply transparent primer to the whole surface and leave to dry. You can skip primer application step, your decoration will become less durable.
Cut the print from your napkin or decoupage paper. Put the print into water for 5 minutes. Take it out and wipe with paper towel.
- Glue the print to plate upside down with Daily ART Decoupage Glue.
- Apply Country Crackling Medium to few places on plate, where you want cracks to appear. Let it dry. It usually takes about 20 minutes, but you can use hairdryer to make it dry quicker.
- Pick up 2 -3 colors of acrylic paint, that match decoupage paper you are using. Apply colors by sponging with round foam brush. Use light touch. First, apply colors on places with Country Crackling Medium. Turn plate to see if you need any correction. Leave some space uncovered for gilding leaves. Let paint dry. You can use hairdryer again.
Apply thin layer of gilding glue all over the surface and leave to dry. While wet gilding glue is white. Glue becomes transparent when dry. Do not touch the plate, as glue is very sticky.
- Place gilding leaves all over the surface and press them with a dry sponge or your fingers so they can stick well.
- Use a dry soft cloth or your fingers to remove the extra leaves.
- Cover all surface with gilding varnish and leave to dry.
- Cover with acrylic paint layer with any color you used previously. Color will fill scratches on gilded surface and make them a part of decoration rather than a defect.
- For maximum durability cover with acrylic varnish. Varnish will be dry to the touch in 30 min. Nevertheless, leave the plate upside down for 1 more week. Varnish will dry completely and provide best protection of decoration in 7 days.